Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dr. Sketchy, Salad, Potatoes, and SPROUTS

Dr. Sketchy's was last saturday, and I finally dragged my butt over to their new location, in Manhattan. Although the F train did make me waay late and I got a crappy spot to sketch from, I was still glad I ventured over. The beautiful Raquel Reed was modeling in a cupcake theme (!!). They had free cupcakes (not vegan though) that were pretty cute too. Devil Dog and fruit loop flavors, among others. Fun looking!



I totally had cupcakes on my mind after that session, so I made some mini vanilla with chocolate frosting ones of my own. Yummers! I used the recipe from VCTOTW, and I have to say, I can't remember the last time I just made plain vanilla cupcakes with plain chocolate frosting. Ahh yummy basics! :)


Oh oh oh! I sprouted lentils! This was my first attempt at sprouting something and it was so easy! Also, I had no clue you can sprout all sorts of things. Like nuts! I'm gonna try that next. Lentils sprouted in about 3 days and they lasted me about a week. I thought they might taste different than alfalfa sprouts, but they pretty much tasted the same.


I had some potatoes and cabbage and ham tube to use up, so voila! This was way yummier than I anticipated (even though it's not the most appealing looking.) I steamed my yukon potatoes, boiled my cabbage in water and apple cider vinegar and I concocted a cheesy sauce from leftover FYH cheddar, and a nooch/soy milk/dijon/spices/flour mixture. Diced up some ham tube and baked it all in the oven for a half hour or so, until sauce was bubbly. Hello comfort food. And it was even better the next day for lunch! Ham tube was key, me thinks.


Lots of salads this week.


Leftover black beans, sprouts, spinach, red peppers, and a miso dressing. This was a power-up lunch!


I don't buy FYH that often, and I usually struggle with trying to use it up before it turns a funny shade. I had made burritos earlier in the week, and I just stuck with pairing it with potatoes for the rest. Leftover Tofutti sour cream also. Tempeh wingz are hiding in the background.



I made Dan's Tempeh meatless balls finally! They were really yummy and I was surprised how well they held together. They did crumble a little when I got daring and just threw them in the sauce, but in a good way. I liked these waay better than the beanballs that I usually make, with vital wheat gluten.


More salad :)



Tonight I made Tempeh Piccata (using the recipe in Vcon, but with tempeh instead of the Seitan) and some steamed asparagus. Tempeh pairs real well in a piccata sauce and was waay quicker to make! And oh asparagus, how I love thee.



In other news, I had a celeb sighting last night! I stopped in the park, by my apartment, after work last night. It was really nice out and I wanted to enjoy it, so I planted myself on a bench to sketch for a bit. I had noticed there was a movie being filmed at Enids (a restaurant/bar), which is right at the corner of the park, but didn't think much of it. All of a sudden, 15 or so paparazzi ran by me over to this big camper/trailer about 20 ft. behind me and just stood there, poised. An SUV drove up, and a very petite woman got out and rushed into the camper. I didn't catch a glimpse of who it could be, but a bored paparazzi dude told me it was Jennifer Aniston! I sat there until she came out again and I got a better look. The paparazzi have such boring jobs! And they're so rude too. I love celeb sightings though, and I hadn't had one in awhile. In the past, I have seen Julia Stiles, Claire Danes, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sandra Bernhard, and Matthew Broderick. Claire Danes was in the same row in the movie theater, while watching The Baxter. It was very very odd to hear her laughter while watching the movie. Very familiar, but from a total stranger? Weird! Leo was in The Whitney with his mom, asking the guard where the bathroom was. The guard looked at him, and made a swimming motion with his hand and said "You jumped off the boat?" I don't even know if there is even a response to that. Anyways, I looked up what movie Jennifer Aniston is filming right now, and it's this one called "The Baster." Yes, as in turkey baster. Ohh funny.

2 comments:

  1. Your sketch is lovely and as for all that good food, well, you've just made my tummy growl.
    :)
    YAY! For celeb spotting. I saw Vinny Jones a few years back - he was driving next to us and I waved at him. He waved back to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lentil sprouts look fantastic, I would really love to try sprouting sometime. And I have the same problem with fyh, at least a quarter of it always sits in the fridge and turns pink within a week.

    ReplyDelete